Right now, over a million people in this country are still being told their sexual identity is a choice and that it can be cured. That is completely and utterly wrong. Sexual orientation is not a pathology, and most definitely should not be treated as one.
Since my election I've been leading the campaign in Parliament to secure a ban on the fraudulent and abusive practice of LGBTQ+ so-called Conversion Therapy.
Current law does little to prevent ‘conversion therapy’ taking place in all but the most extreme cases. New and specific legislation banning ‘conversion therapy’ in England and Wales is therefore essential to protect individuals from this abhorrent practice.
The ban on LGBTQ+ Conversion Therapy will:
- Stop those who provide the so-called therapy, which constitutes abuse and fraud
- Stop those who treat sexual orientation as a pathology and tackle discrimination against LGBTQ+ individuals and communities
- Stop those who coerce others into receiving so-called “conversion therapy”
- Stop those who advertise so-called “conversion therapy”
- Stop those who take individuals abroad for “conversion therapy”
- Give victims the legal recourse they need