For too long beautiful rural areas like ours have come second best when it comes to Government investment and Local Authority funding.
I will work to ensure Government funding reflects that delivering services in rural areas is more expensive, and that we get all the support we need here in Rutland and Melton.
I’ll fight to bring fairness back to Government funding and make sure here in Rutland and Melton we get all the support we need, so we can give:
- exceptional social care to our older generations,
- protect our environment,
- benefit from decent quality broadband,
- feel safe benefiting from policing that doesn’t forget our villages,
- improve job opportunities with a freeport
- support for our famers including flood provision,
- ensure schools give our children the best chance in life, and
- that we have roads that get us safely to work and back home again to our families.
NEWS: February 2021 - East Midlands Freeport Bid Submitted
I am proud to have joined other East Midlands MPs, local enterprise partnerships, East Midlands businesses and universities in submitting a bid to create a freeport in the East Midlands.
A Freeport in our region will:
- Increase investment in key sectors such as manufacturing and logistics.
- Level up with 60,000 job opportunities and higher wages.
- Boost trade opportunities for businesses in Rushcliffe and across the East Midlands.
- Provide opportunities for carbon neutral investment and our green recovery.
- Increase productivity and local innovation.
An East Midlands Freeport will allow us to embrace the opportunities of Global Britain whilst turbo-charging our recovery from the pandemic in Leicestershire and Rutland. It will support our region by creating over 60,000 jobs and bolster our businesses by improving their export opportunities. This bid is a vote of confidence in our communities, and if successful will help level-up the heart of our country and ensure the East Midlands leads the way in a global, and greener, Britain.
This bid has my full support. I have consistently campaigned for this freeport and will keep working with colleagues to encourage investment in the East Midlands.
NEWS: January 2021 - Response from Minister Luke Hall to my Lobbying for Fairer Funding
This can be read at the bottom of this page.
UPDATE: January 2021 - Call for East Midlands Freeport
In a speech on Global Britain, I call for the creation of an East Midlands Freeport.
NEWS: May 2020 - COVID-19 Discretionary Grant Funding
I’m delighted that the Government has now introduced a £617 million discretionary fund for Local Authorities to support businesses falling out of the scope of existing COVID-19 support mechanisms as they operate from shared spaces.
I’ve been lobbying for this support on behalf of local businesses such as the Melton Mowbray Market and Pera Businesses Park, and it is right that the Government delivered this important support that will bolster rural communities across the country.
NEWS: February 2020 - Treasury Questions on Local Bus Funding
At Treasury Questions, I called on the Government to provide robust funding to our Local Authorities so they can deliver improved bus services and help wages rise locally.