I am writing to provide updates on the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme and the Government’s plan to reopen the housing market – safely.
Over the coming weeks and months, as restrictions are cautiously lifted in line with the COVID Alert Level, I will endeavour to update you all as much as possible on this platform to ensure you are fully up to date with the latest guidance.
Thank you for your continued sacrifice and patience as we implement the right measures to both protect our communities and bolster our economy.
Self-Employment Income Support Scheme Now Live!
The Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) is now open for applications, weeks earlier than planned. I am very pleased that residents have already contacted me this morning to say how “easy to apply it was”.
The Scheme will allow eligible self-employed individuals to claim a taxable grant of 80% of their average monthly trading profits, paid out in a single instalment covering 3 months, and capped at £7,500 altogether. This is a temporary scheme, but it may be extended.
You can claim if you’re a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership and:
- You traded in the tax year 2018 to 2019 and submitted your Self Assessment tax return on or before 23 April 2020 for that year.
- You traded in the tax year 2019 to 2020.
- You intend to continue to trade in the tax year 2020 to 2021.
- You carry on a trade which has been adversely affected by COVID-19.
I welcome that eligible individuals can continue to work, start a new trade or take on other employment (including voluntary work), or duties such as an armed forces reservist while receiving income from the scheme.
I encourage residents to use the online eligibility checker HERE to see if you are eligible and have the money in your account by 25th May.
I am extremely grateful for self-employed resident's patience as we sought to provide the right support.
Reopening the Housing Market
This morning, the Government also announced a comprehensive plan to restart, reopen and renew the housing market safely.
As of today, you are now again free to move home whenever you wish, unblocking 450,000 transactions that were paused due to the pandemic.
- Physical viewings of properties can resume, but we ask that you exercise social distancing diligently and encourage virtual viewings where possible.
- Estate agents offices and show homes can reopen.
- Removal companies can get back to work.
- All related journeys are deemed “necessary journeys".
For each aspect of the process, the Government is publishing detailed guidance on how to work and visit properties safely in accordance with social distancing. Despite the easing of restrictions in this area, the process of finding and moving into a new home will need to be different as those involved in the process will have to adapt practices and procedures to meet the stringent guidelines.