Bosnia is on the verge of collapse - and the UK can help to save it.
As Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Bosnia, I am working with the UK Government, other MPs, the British Embassy in Bosnia and the Bosnian Embassy in the UK to find a way to prevent genocide happening.
Many in the UK don't know about Bosnia - and have forgotten the War. The BBC piece attached gives a flavour of the conflict.
Bosnia saw a terrible war from 1992-1995 - and the British Armed Forces played an honourable part in that war.
The Peace Agreement, signed in Dayton in 1995, created a new, multi-national state.
Now, Bosnia is on the verge of collapse once again. I have a plan to stop that from happening.
Plan for how the UK can help prevent conflict
- Invite High Representative Christian Schmidt to the UK
- Put Bosnia on the agenda at NATO ministerial meeting in Riga
- Increase deployment to NATO HQ in Sarajevo
- Urge NATO to consider a joint exercise in the Balkans
- Convene meeting of NATO QUINT
- Visit to Bosnia by a senior member of the UK Government
- Secure a debate and motion by Parliament
- Work with NATO and EU Parliaments to hold debates
- Impose Magnitsky sanctions on financial criminality around agitators
- Endorse the High Representative's Genocide Denial Bill